Author: Leslie Campos
How to Start a Successful Business From Home as a Stay-at-Home Mom
With the advent of the internet and all of its associated technologies, there are now more opportunities than ever for a stay-at-home mom to start a home-based business within a few months.
Three Business Models for Mompreneurs
The first step is to come up with a business idea. There are several categories of business that most moms find themselves interested in:
1. Home-based product businesses. If you enjoy making homemade items, such as candles or baked goods, you can sell them on a marketplace like Etsy or Amazon.
2. Affiliate marketing.Content creators and bloggers often use affiliate marketingto make money from home. This is where you promote other people’s products or services in your content and receive a commission for any sales that you make.
3. Freelance businesses. If you enjoy writing, graphic design, SEO, or tutoring, you can use these skills to find freelance or contract work.
The next step is to start marketing your business. When deciding which marketing platformto use, consider your budget. If you're on a limited budget, start with free or low-cost platforms, such as Facebook, LinkedIn, Google, or YouTube.
Working From Home With Young Children
Here are three strategies to make working from home manageable when you have young children. The first step is to schedule your work hours and stick to them. A schedule will help you stay focused and avoid distractions. This might mean working in bursts. So, if your children are home all day, put in the time to work when they take naps, before they wake up in the mornings, and at night after they go to bed.
Next, find someone to help watch your children. If you're not able to find a family member or friend to watch your children during your work hours, then consider using a babysitter or daycare.
Another option is to arrange virtual playdates with other stay-at-home moms in the Oakland, MD area.
Before you start a business, it’s important to think about how you want to balance work and life. It can be helpful to establish a routine in your home, such as eating dinner together every night.
- Plan fun weekend activities for the family
- Take time for yourself
- Outsource tasks when possible
- Delegate chores and household tasks
Sharpen Your Business Skills
As a stay-at-home mom, you may feel like you're starting from scratch when it comes to business. But there are several things you can do to sharpen your skills.
- Attend webinars
- Register for an online business degree
- Read books about business acumen, marketing, and management
Studying online gives you the flexibility to complete coursework whenever and wherever you want.
Use Free Online Tools to Save Money
It’s important to find ways to save money. One way to do this is by using free online tools. For example, Adobe converter, which allows you to convert from PDF to Word, is useful for keeping documents or marketing materials looking uniform as you transfer them to other people. Here are some free online tools that can help you save money:
Get Your Small Business Up and Running
- Google Docs
If you're looking to start a successful business from home as a stay-at-home mom, use the tips in this article to get started. Contact the HUBZone Contractor National Council for help getting your business off the ground.